|Harilaos G. Koumaras|
- Dr. Koumaras has been appointed as co-chair of the for the topic of "Multimedia networking and communication" of IEEE ICME 2016 International Conference. More info is available here
- Dr. Koumaras has been appointed as co-chair of the (MCDIG) Multimedia Content Distribution: Infrastructure and Algorithms Interest Group of IEEE Multimedia Communication Technical Committee. More info is available here
- Dr. Koumaras has been elected as member in the IEEE Interest Group on QoE for Multimedia Communications of of IEEE Multimedia Communication Technical Committee. More info is available here
- Dr. Harilaos Koumaras' Blog is now online! You can visit it via the following link
- CFP: Telecommunications Systems Journal, Springer Editions, Special Issue on the 'Quality of Experience issues in Multimedia Provision'. More info on this special issue is available here
- The paper entitled "ADAMANTIUM Project: Enhancing IMS with a PQoS-aware Multimedia Content Management System" was presented at the AQTR08 and awarded with the BEST PAPER AWARD
- The paper entitled "A Theoretical Framework for End-to-End Video Quality Prediction of MPEG-based Sequences" was presented at the ICNS07 and awarded with the BEST PAPER AWARD (Link) .
- Harilaos Koumaras was selected as biographee for the 25th Silver Edition of Marquis Who's Who in the World.
- The paper "Quantitative Perceptual Comparison of VBR over CBR for MPEG-4 Video" has been accepted for publication to the Journal of Electronic Imaging SPIE, IS&T .
- A paper entitled "Unidirectional Lightweight Encapsulation: Performance Evaluation and Application Perspectives" was published in IEEE transactions on Broadcasting Vol. 52(3), Sept. 2006 pp.374 - 380 .
- The magazine of the Alexander S. Onassis scholar's association writes for Harilaos Koumaras. You can read the online version of the article here.
- A paper entitled "Shot Boundary Detection without Threshold Parameters" was published in Journal of Electronic Imaging SPIE, IS&T, Vol.15, No.2, April 2006.
- A paper entitled "Analysis of H.264 Video Coded Traffic" was presented by H Koumaras at the 2nd International Network Conference INC 2005 at Greek island Samos.
- A paper entitled "Broadband Data Access over Hybrid DVB-T Networks" was presented by Dr. G. Gardikis at the 3nd Inter. Conference on Performance Modelling and Evaluation of Heterogeneous Networks, Het-NeTs 05 at Ilkley, United Kingdom.
Full Name Harilaos Koumaras
Position Computer Science Researcher
Dr. Harilaos Koumaras was born in Athens, Greece in 1980. He received his BSc degree in Physics in 2002 from the University of Athens, Physics Department, his MSc in Electronic Automation and Information Systems in 2004, being scholar of the non-profit organization Alexander S Onassis, from the University of Athens, Computer Science Department and his PhD in 2007 at Computer Science from the University of Athens, Computer Science Department, having granted the four-year scholarship of National Centre of Scientific Research "Demokritos". He has received twice the Greek State Foundations (IKY) scholarship during the academic years 2000-01 and 2003-04. He has also granted with honors the classical piano and harmony degrees from the classical music department of Attiko Conservatory. In 2003 he joined the Media Networks Lab at the National Centre of Scientific Research “Demokritos” and participated in numerous EC-funded and national funded projects with presentations and publications at international conferences, scientific journals and book chapters. His research interests include objective/subjective evaluation of the perceived quality of multimedia services, video quality and picture quality evaluation, video traffic modeling, digital terrestrial television and video compression techniques. Currently, he is the author or co-author of more than 75 scientific papers in international journals, technical books and book chapters, numbering more than 250 non-self citations (according to ResearchGate). He is an editorial board member of the Telecommunications Systems Journal and a reviewer of the IEEE Network magazine, the EURASIP Journal of Applied Signal Processing, the IEEE Transactions on image processing and the IEEE Transactions on Broadcasting. Dr. Koumaras is a member of IEEE, SPIE and National Geographic Society.
2004-2007: University of Athens, Computer Science and Telecommunications Department
PhD in Computer Science (Thesis is written in Greek. Short summary in English is available here)
PhD Thesis: Method for Predicting Perceived Quality of Encoded Video in relation to Encoding Bit Rate and Spatiotemporal Content Dynamics
2002-2004: University of Athens, Computer Science and Telecommunications Department - Physics Department
MSc in Electronic Automation and Information Systems. Grade: 8.82/10.00
Master Thesis: Objective Evaluation of Perceived Quality of Service for MPEG-4 Multimedia Applications
1998-2002: University of Athens, Physics Department
BSc in Physics with specialization on Computers, Electronics, Telecom and Control. Grade: 7.53/10.00
Thesis: Development and Integration ASP-based Management Interface for Databases of Multimedia Content
RESEARCH and ACADEMIC INTERESTS
- Subjective Methods for Picture/Video Quality Evaluation
- Full Reference Methods for Objective Picture/Video Quality Evaluation
- Reduced Reference Methods for Objective Picture/Video Quality Evaluation
- No Reference Methods for Objective Picture/Video Quality Evaluation
- Digital Encoding Standards (i.e. MPEG-4, H.264)
- Video Traffic Modeling
- Real Time Streaming Protocols / Applications
- Mapping of Network Parameters (i.e. delay, jitter) to Perceived Quality of Service
- IP over DVB-T issues